Details for Tucker House (Atlas Number 5507017252)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017252

Data

Marker Number 17252
Atlas Number 5507017252
Marker Title Tucker House
Index Entry Tucker House
Address 245 Tucker Drive
City Weatherford
County Parker
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; vernacular
Marker Year 2012
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location The site is on the west side of Tucker Drive, one mile north of Farm Road 730.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text MOSES TUCKER (1833-1890) CAME TO TEXAS FROM KENTUCKY WITH HIS TWIN BROTHER, AARON, IN 1853. A LOG CABIN WAS BUILT ON THIS LAND. AFTER SERVING IN THE CIVIL WAR, TUCKER RETURNED TO PARKER COUNTY AND TO HIS WIFE, MARTHA ELIZABETH (COCKBURN) (1839-1915), AND FAMILY. ACCORDING TO ORAL TRADITION, THE CURRENT BUILDING WAS ERECTED IN 1889 AND CONSISTS OF VERTICAL BOARDS WITH LAP SIDING IN A VERNACULAR ARCHITECTURAL STYLE. THE HOME INCLUDED TWO ROOMS WITH A CENTRAL HALL AND AN ATTIC. THE BACK HALF OF THE HOUSE WAS LATER ADDED WITH A KITCHEN AREA, PORCHES, AND A BATH. THE TUCKER FAMILY FARMED THE LAND FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY BEFORE DONATING THE PROPERTY TO THE SILVER CREEK HERITAGE SOCIETY.