Details for Murphy School (Atlas Number 5507017317)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017317

Data

Marker Number 17317
Atlas Number 5507017317
Marker Title Murphy School
Index Entry Murphy School
Address 205 North Murphy Road/FM 2551
City Murphy
County Collin
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Educational Buildings
Marker Year 2012
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 205 North Murphy Road/FM 2551
Marker Size RTHL Medallion & plaque without post
Marker Text MURPHY WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED OLD DECATUR AFTER THE HOMETOWN OF FOUNDER C.A. McMILLEN. IN 1888 THE TOWN WAS RENAMED MURPHY AFTER WILLIAM MURPHY DONATED LAND TO BUILD A TRAIN DEPOT AND A POST OFFICE. THE FEDERAL WORKS PROJECT ADMINISTRATION (WPA) BUILT MURPHY SCHOOL IN 1939, WHICH BECAUSE OF CONSOLIDATION LASTED ONLY UNTIL 1950. THE CITY PURCHASED THE BUILDING AND HAS USED IT AS CITY HALL, A POLICE DEPARTMENT AND A FIRE HOUSE. MURPHY SCHOOL IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF A DEPRESSION-ERA PUBLIC EDUCATION BUILDING AND IS THE LAST HISTORICAL BUILDING IN MURPHY FROM THE 1930s. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2012