Details for Herfurth House (Atlas Number 5507017545)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017545

Data

Marker Number 17545
Atlas Number 5507017545
Marker Title Herfurth House
Index Entry Herfurth House
Address 2122 Miller Rd.
City Rowlett
County Dallas
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 726233
UTM Northing 3642098
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Craftsman; women
Marker Year 2013
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Miller Rd., 0.7 mi. W of intersection with Rowlett Rd.
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text Accompanying the agricultural boom in the late 19th century was the influx of immigrant German and Swiss farm families to the northeastern portion of Dallas County. Among the German families buying farms near Rowlett was Johann Christian Herfurth (1835-1914) and his wife, Anna Barbara Etter (1842-1925). One son, John Samuel Herfurth (1879-1958), located the Dallas County farm land and brought his parents here. The farm was purchased in 1908, originally consisted of 151 acres and included a small 3-room house on the property. Soon after obtaining the property, around 1910, Herfurth added two rooms and a hallway to the original house. A second major addition in 1918 produced the basic design of the airplane bungalow house as it exists today. The exterior of the house is a classic craftsman style with strong horizontal lines, a low pitched roof, deep eaves and small panes in the upper window sashes. There is evidence that the contractor relied on plans from Sears, Roebuck & Co. In the 1930s, nationwide research into scientific land management practices increased. J.S. Herfurth followed those developments closely and worked with Dallas County extension service agents to implement new techniques, such as contour plowing and crop rotation. He was named a local farm conservationist and awarded the honor of triple-a farmer. In addition to extensive cotton production, Herfurth was also interested in animal husbandry, particularly the breeding of horses and mules. J.S.’s youngest son, Carl Leroy Herfurth, and his wife, Helen Hall, were the last members of the family to own and occupy the Herfurth homestead.