Details for The Phillips House (Atlas Number 5507017563)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017563

Data

Marker Number 17563
Atlas Number 5507017563
Marker Title The Phillips House
Index Entry Phillips House, The
Address 900 S. Main Street
City Saint Jo
County Montague
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 637477
UTM Northing 3728712
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Colonial Revival; Queen Anne
Marker Year 2013
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location US Highway 82 in front of house facing highway, 0.1 miles from Saint Jo city limit sign.
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text In 1873, James Hoback (J.H.) and Margaret Day Phillips moved from Illinois to Texas by wagon train with their children. J.H. was instrumental in the early social, religious and economic development of Saint Jo. He owned and operated a general store and hotel, and was the town's Baptist preacher. His youngest son, George Washington (G.W.) (1863-1930), grew up in Saint Jo and, at age 20, married Nannie Parker Gooch (1865-1937). During the late 1800s, G.W. bought and sold real estate and owned and operated the local G.W. Phillips Livery Stables. In addition to his business skills, G.W. was also a horse trader, farmer and rancher. On January 6, 1897, G.W. bought 320 acres on the eastern edge of Saint Jo. Three years later, he moved his family to a temporary dwelling on the property. Additional acreage was purchased in 1902 and, in 1911, Barney Lewis was hired to construct the family home. The house took two years to complete and quickly became the center for social activities. When the family was not working, they enjoyed a game of baseball in the open field west of the house. The Phillips House, also known as The Big House, displays characteristics of Colonial Revival and Queen Anne architecture. The two-story wood home has a hipped, wood-shingled roof and large, distinctive upstairs and downstairs porches. Numerous columns, hundreds of spindles and bay windows typify the Queen Anne style. The home boasts twenty-one wood framed single pane windows, heart pine wood floors and some of the original furniture. Generations of the Phillips family have occupied The Big House for over a hundred years and continue to contribute to Saint Jo. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2013