Details for Clark-James House (Atlas Number 5507017568)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017568

Data

Marker Number 17568
Atlas Number 5507017568
Marker Title Clark-James House
Index Entry Clark-James House
Address 377 Bowie Trail
City Hemphill
County Sabine
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes residential buildings;
Marker Year 2013
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28" without post
Marker Text This historic home was built in 1919-1920 by Eausel Clark after his marriage to Bertie Fullen on September 17, 1919. The home was built from available lumber salvaged from older homes and includes batten walls and two hand-hewn sandstone fireplaces. In 1934, the house was reconstructed with lumber from the Knox Sawmill in East Mayfield. In 1946, the Clarks sold the property to Jesse and Aretha Cooper James who then sold it to Edward and Lula McGown James in 1959. The first three owners survived by subsistence farming and through work in the timber harvesting industry. This home represents the modest lives of farmers and timber workers in Sabine County in the early 1900s.