Details for Harris-Savage Home (Atlas Number 5507017586)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017586

Data

Marker Number 17586
Atlas Number 5507017586
Marker Title Harris-Savage Home
Index Entry Harris-Savage Home
Address 5703 Swiss Avenue
City Dallas
County Dallas
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Mission [architectural style]
Marker Year 2013
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Northeast corner of Swiss Avenue and Glendale
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text The roots of the Harris-Savage House go back to 1843, when pioneers William W. Cochran (1807-1853), the first Dallas County Clerk, and his wife, Nancy Jane Hughes (1817-1877), lived in Peters Colony. Their grandson, William (Will) Randolph Harris (1877-1948), was born in Farmers Branch in Dallas County. After graduating high school, Will studied law under his first cousin R.E.L. Knight and J.L. Harris of the firm Harris & Knight. He was admitted to the Texas bar in 1900 and remained with what became Thompson, Knight, Harris, Wright and Weisburg his entire legal career. Will and his wife, Minnie Beulah Bookhout (1881-1955), moved into this home in 1921. Will had a distinguished career, including the successful impeachment of Gov. James “Pa” Ferguson, and Minnie was an active clubwoman. Dorothy Harris Savage (1918-1999) inherited the home from her mother, Minnie, and with her husband, former Dallas Mayor Wallace Savage (1912-2000), continued the family legacy there. The Savages were founders of the Dallas Academy, served on numerous civic and philanthropic boards and contributed greatly to the historic preservation movement in Dallas with involvement in the Historic Preservation League (now Preservation Dallas). With their help, this house and area were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, the first listed district in Dallas. The 1917 Mission style residence boasts two curvilinear parapets; one defines the central entry to the front porch and the other enhances a large gabled attic dormer with palladian window. Otherwise, the house design owes much to the prairie style with horizontal lines, triple windows, square brick piers and widely overhanging eaves. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2013 MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS