Details for Mathews General Store (Atlas Number 5507017669)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017669

Data

Marker Number 17669
Atlas Number 5507017669
Marker Title Mathews General Store
Index Entry Mathews General Store
Address 1013 E. 15th Street
City Plano
County Collin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 714811
UTM Northing 3655838
Subject Codes businesses
Marker Year 2013
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size RTHL medallion and 16" x 12" plaque without post
Marker Text This was one of several brick buildings erected on Mechanic Street after an October 1895 fire. S. J. And Nancy Mathews came to Plano in 1893 and opened a store across the street before relocating here in 1906. Mathews Department Store sold dry goods and clothing, including millinery made by Nancy and her daughters, until 1947. The building continued as a department store and then other businesses. The façade features running bond and corbelled brick, transom and storefront windows, and columns and base plates from Sherman Iron Works. It is one of Plano‚Äôs few 19th-century stores in continuous commercial operation.