Details for Perrin Log Cabin (Atlas Number 5507017690)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017690

Data

Marker Number 17690
Atlas Number 5507017690
Marker Title Perrin Log Cabin
Index Entry Perrin Log Cabin
Address
City Decatur
County Wise
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Residential
Marker Year 2013
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text William Perrin and his wife, Charlotte, along with two other families, left Rock Castle, Kentucky in the fall of 1853, arriving forty days later in the Peters Colony near Dallas. They moved west again, arriving in Wise County on Christmas Eve 1854 and settling on 160 acres southeast of Decatur. They sold that land in 1860 to blacksmith Joseph Dannelley for $1,000. The Perrins located this homestead south of town on the banks of Martin’s Branch and Center Creek, along the eastern boundary of the Samuel Isaacs survey. Here they built this two-room dogtrot log cabin sometime between 1855 and 1861. In 1861, Perrin obtained clear title to the land by paying Samuel Smith of Walker County $960 for 320 acres. The warranty deed cites “so as to include the residence and farm of said Perrin.” The Perrin family lived in the house continuously from its construction until 1990. Upon the death of William Perrin in 1875, his son, Temoleon (T. Perrin), became the owner, and later grandson Earl Perrin acquired the house and land. Around 1940, Earl covered the house with siding, effectively preserving the log cabin and protecting it from the elements for decades. The historic cabin was restored in 2007 based on historic photographs and architectural evidence. Original materials utilized in the restoration included the original stones for the fireplace, original chinks and nearby clay for daubing, and original logs for the v-notch walls, rafters, and floor supports. The cabin is the most intact structure of its kind in Wise County, being the only double log cabin restored and still at its original location. It is a testament to pioneer craftsmanship and the memory of a pioneering family.