Details for Rembert-Harrison House (Atlas Number 5507017733)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017733

Data

Marker Number 17733
Atlas Number 5507017733
Marker Title Rembert-Harrison House
Index Entry Rembert-Harrison House
Address 316 S. Fredonia Street
City Longview
County Gregg
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes residential
Marker Year 2013
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text Frank Taylor Rembert (1853-1926) was born in Copiah County, Mississippi. In 1872 he came to Texas, where he had relatives and a job with the Houston & Great Northern Railroad in Crockett. While working in Scottsville, he met Kate Womack, and the two married in 1878. The couple moved to Longview, where they bought a cottage already on this site. Frank became a prominent merchant and investor, operating the firm of Mayfield, Rembert, and company (later F. T. Rembert Mercantile Company) with his brothers-in-law and owning a Cotton Oil Mill, bank, and several commercial buildings. He was mayor of Longview from 1896 to 1898. Since Frank’s death in 1926, the Remberts’ nephew, John Womack Harrison, and his family have continued to live in the house. The original Queen Anne-Style cottage was built between 1877 and 1879. In about 1895, inspired by his 1893 trip to the world’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Frank Rembert remodeled the exterior, removing elaborate spindle work and adding ionic columns and other classical revival elements. The wood frame house with original siding and double-hung wood sash windows features an asymmetrical façade dominated by a wraparound front porch. Historic interior elements include two red brick chimneys, original fireplaces, bulls-eye trim and other woodwork details. In about 1912, a detached garage and concrete driveway were added to the property. These accommodated the Buick which Rembert purchased between 1910 and 1912, believed to be one of the first automobiles in Longview.