Details for Dayton's Old School (Atlas Number 5507017880)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017880

Data

Marker Number 17880
Atlas Number 5507017880
Marker Title Dayton's Old School
Index Entry Dayton's Old School
Address 111West Houston
City Dayton
County Liberty
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 317936
UTM Northing 3325093
Subject Codes Education
Marker Year 2014
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Dayton Old School Museum
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text Dayton began as part of the City of Liberty. The children who lived here were either educated at home, across the river in the main part of Liberty, or not at all. In 1849, a board of trustees formed a committee to establish a school for these children. A new school site was purchased from the Lowery estate for $90.00 and was bounded by Main, Houston, and Cleveland streets. The building was a two-room school with two teachers and 35 students ranging from 1st to 7th grades. It was open from the fall of 1900 to the spring of 1910. It was then sold to W. T. Jamison and Joe Entzminger who moved the building to its current location at 111 West Houston Street. In 1923, Walter and Ivy Jamison bought the building for their residence. Ivy served the Dayton ISD for 29 years until 1964. The family sold the historic school to the Dayton Historical Society in 2001. The Dayton Historical Society saved the building from being condemned. Through fundraising they were able to purchase the building and restore it to its historic appearance. It now houses the Dayton Old School Museum, which was dedicated in April 2007. The original building was 40 ft x 36 ft and was designed in the Prairie style, built of Cypress wood with a pier and beam foundation. The high pitched roof gable was topped with a cupola for circulation. Dayton's Old School has been a landmark in this community for more than a century, standing in the same location since 1911. It has stood the test of time, surviving several major tornadoes and hurricanes. As it was 100 years ago, it is still a dynamic place of learning for Dayton's citizens. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014