Designed by Ernest P. Behles and built by the Gordon-Jones construction company, the three-story concrete and masonry Toltec apartment house was constructed in 1913 for Dr. Augustus maverick, who was tragically murdered before its completion. The maverick family played an important role in San Antonio’s early downtown development. Tenants included family members who owned the property until 1996. Prominent aspects of the building include its u-shaped layout, white stone detailing on the exterior red brick, and a concrete and cast iron staircase that rises from the basement to the third floor. Constructed in early 20th century classical revival style, the building’s distinct architectural integrity is preserved in its original design, hardware and finishes.
RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2014
MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS