Details for Palisades State Park Concession Building (Atlas Number 5507017928)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017928

Data

Marker Number 17928
Atlas Number 5507017928
Marker Title Palisades State Park Concession Building
Index Entry Palisades State Park Concession Building
Address 100 Brentwood Rd
City Canyon
County Randall
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 243631
UTM Northing 3883656
Subject Codes Houses and residences, Buildings, Vernacular, Great Depression
Marker Year 2014
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location South on Osage off of TX 1151 approximately 2 miles to Starlight Canyon gate.
Marker Size 18" x 28" with post
Marker Text In the midst of the Great Depression, a group of Amarillo businessmen combined resources and purchased for donation 320 acres of Henry Clay Harding’s Ranch. Located in the upper reaches of Palo Duro Canyon, the acreage was designated as Palisades State Park. In 1933, Civilian Conservation Corps Company 856 began construction of the concession building for visitors to the park. Local architect Guy Anton Carlander designed the building in “NPS rustic” style which harmonizes the structure with its surroundings by the use of natural local materials and colors, low horizontal lines, and the loss of demarcation between the structure’s foundation and the ground. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2014