Details for Albertson Home (Atlas Number 5507017947)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017947

Data

Marker Number 17947
Atlas Number 5507017947
Marker Title Albertson Home
Index Entry Albertson Home
Address 2017 Avenue N 1/2
City Galveston
County Galveston
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Building
Marker Year 2014
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28" with post
Marker Text This historic house was built in 1870 by Charles Albertson in the Lost Bayou section of the current San Jacinto historical district. Albertson was a cotton buyer active in Galveston until 1900. The great storm of 1900 left the house seriously damaged, but still standing. In 1903, Ben Blum bought and remodeled the house, and divided the property with this wing of the house moved east and closer to the street. Blum rented the east wing, supplying rented living space for the population influx to Galveston. The two-story house is a classic example of post-civil war southern town house architecture with octagonal columns and bracketed eaves. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014