Details for Evans Chapel Church (Atlas Number 5507017959)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017959

Data

Marker Number 17959
Atlas Number 5507017959
Marker Title Evans Chapel Church
Index Entry Evans Chapel Church
Address 4133 FM 977 W
City Leona
County Leon
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes buildings, religion, Methodist
Marker Year 2014
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 4.1 miles west of Leona on FM 977, south (left) side of FM 977
Marker Size 18" x 28" with post
Marker Text EVANS CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH The Evans Chapel Church was built in 1886 on two acres along Mustang Creek given by W. J. Cox to trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, south. Arrival of settlers from the old south to this area began about 1840. The William P. Evans family settled here from Alabama in 1845 and the community came to bear their name. Residents of Evans Chapel Community decided they needed a church and a new school in the mid-1880s. The church was established with an adjoining cemetery and a new school was built. The original frame building with wood siding served until 1919 when it was damaged by a fire. The congregation erected an identical church that still serves today. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2014 MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS