Details for Nash Farm (Atlas Number 5507017960)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017960

Data

Marker Number 17960
Atlas Number 5507017960
Marker Title Nash Farm
Index Entry Nash Farm
Address 626 Ball Street
City Grapevine
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 678992
UTM Northing 3645686
Subject Codes Farming
Marker Year 2014
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location The nominated property includes all land bounded by West College Street, Ball Street, and Homestead Lane in Grapevine, Tarrant County, Texas.
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text NASH FARM ESTABLISHED IN 1859, THE NASH FARM CONSTITUTES ONE OF THE LAST REMAINING AGRARIAN SITES FROM THE 19TH CENTURY IN NORTH TEXAS IN THE REGION WHERE THERE WAS ONCE A PERVASIVE LANDSCAPE OF FARMSTEADS. THOMAS JEFFERSON NASH, ELIZABETH MOUSER NASH AND THEIR FIRST THREE CHILDREN MIGRATED FROM KENTUCKY TO TEXAS IN 1854, FIRST SETTLING IN DALLAS AND THEN MOVING WITHIN A FEW MONTHS TO THE GRAPEVINE VICINITY. THEY WERE JOINED BY THOMAS’ BROTHER, WILLIAM P. NASH. BY 1859, THEY SETTLED PERMANENTLY ON THIS SITE. THE ORIGINAL FARM PROPERTY CONSISTED OF 450 ACRES WITH A VARIETY OF CROPS AND ANIMALS. DURING THE CIVIL WAR, THOMAS AND WILLIAM LEFT TO SERVE WITH CONFEDERATE TROOPS. THEY LEFT THE FARM IN THE CARE OF ELIZABETH AND THE CHILDREN; BOTH SURVIVED THE WAR AND RETURNED HOME TO ENLARGE THEIR FARM HOLDINGS. THE NASH FARMHOUSE, CONSTRUCTED IN 1869, IS A TWO-STORY I-HOUSE WITH A ONE-STORY ATTACHED PARTIAL WIDTH FRONT PORCH. THE PROPERTY ALSO BOASTS A 1907 SECONDARY GABLE-ROOFED WOOD FRAME TRANSVERSE BARN, OR CRIB BARN, A CEMETERY DATING TO 1878 AND A BRICK CISTERN DRESSED WITH A BRICK RIM AND DECORATIVE METAL CISTERN DRAW. IN 1888, THOMAS AND ELIZABETH GAVE LAND FOR THE RIGHT OF WAY TO THE COTTON BELT RAILROAD, WHICH CONTRIBUTED TO THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE GRAPEVINE AREA. THE FARM REMAINED IN THE NASH FAMILY UNTIL THE 1920s. REHABILITATION OF THE PROPERTY IN 2008 RESTORED THE FARM AND ITS HISTORIC STRUCTURES, PRESERVING THEM FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS. IN 2010, THE PROPERTY WAS LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2014 MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS