||CHAUNCY AND MINNIE CANFIELD HOUSE
George Washington West invited Chauncy Canfield to build a business in his new town of George West in 1914. Canfield preceded his family and established a store. His wife, Minnie Elizabeth (Hale), sister Callie and three children arrived on the first passenger train. Designed in Prairie and English cottage style, the canfield house was the first family home in George West. Eventually, son, Hale, married Mabel Frances Lamm and relocated nearby. In 1947, the original house was moved one block west and north to 508 Crockett Street to allow Houston Street commercial construction. Minnie, daughters Josephine and Lou Emma, added a southern colonial exterior and lived in the house until Lou Emma’s passing in 1988.
RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2014
MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS