Details for Longview Train Depot (Atlas Number 5507017982)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017982

Data

Marker Number 17982
Atlas Number 5507017982
Marker Title Longview Train Depot
Index Entry Longview Train Depot
Address 905 Pacific Avenue
City Longview
County Gregg
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes railroad depots
Marker Year 2014
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Building is located on the north side of Pacific Avnue, just off Mobberly Avenue immediately south of the Mobberly railroad underpass. The marker will be located on the building, either in the open-air waiting area or at the main entrance on the south side of the building.
Marker Size 27" x 42" without post
Marker Text With railroad expansion headed west, O.H. Methvin deeded 150 acres to Southern Pacific Railroad in 1870. In 1871, Longview became the westward terminus of the railroad. Construction of a railroad line between Longview and Palestine began in 1872 by International Railroad (later called International & Great Northern Railroad). This line reached an area known as the junction just east of Longview. Texas and Pacific (T&P) railway company acquired Southern Pacific Railroad and began construction on a passenger depot in 1939 located in the junction. The 1940 completed depot replaced an earlier station that was built in 1874. To access the concrete platform where travelers waited for the train, passengers utilized a tunnel that connected the depot to the platform. Designed in the Colonial Revival Style, the train depot, also called the T&P/MO-PAC depot, includes stylized quoins, a brick cornice and grey stone trim used to highlight the coping, keystones and lintels. The one-and-a-half story building contained a ticket office, waiting rooms, restrooms, telegraph office, yard office, baggage/express office and mail room. The original dormers were removed sometime after construction but were later restored. Two porches were part of the original structure for a waiting area, baggage and freight. As a town founded by the railroad, Longview has always been connected to railways and, at one time, boasted three depots. Now, the 1940 Longview Train Depot is the only remaining depot in Longview.