Details for Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House (Atlas Number 5507017993)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017993

Data

Marker Number 17993
Atlas Number 5507017993
Marker Title Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House
Index Entry Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House
Address 727 South Chilton Avenue
City Tyler
County Smith
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Buildings, Classical Revival
Marker Year 2014
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location house sits at the south west corner of South Chilton Avenue and West PhillipsStreet
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text In 1887, Horace and Mary (Grinnan) Chilton acquired land in the Yarbrough addition and soon after started construction on a house for their family. The design, by an unknown architect, is reportedly modeled after Mary’s childhood home in Virginia. Horace Chilton pursued a career in law and was appointed assistant attorney general by Governor Oran Roberts. In 1891, Governor James Hogg appointed him to the U. S. Senate to complete the unexpired term of John H. Reagan. Chilton served a full senate term from 1895-1901 and was Texas’ first native-born U. S. Senator. The Chiltons sold the property to Jacob and Rogenia Lipstate in 1903. Jacob Lipstate was a very successful Tyler merchant and real estate investor and helped organize the chamber of commerce in 1900. While the Lipstates owned the property, they subdivided a portion of the land into smaller lots for additional houses. The Lipstates sold the house in 1909 to W.P. Douglas, who then sold it to Gus F. And Helen (Minge) Taylor in 1910. Gus Taylor was a smith county native who organized and was president of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Tyler (later Citizens National Bank) from 1905-44. Taylor’s heirs lived here until 1955, when they sold the property to Caldwell Schools, which operated a preschool on the property until 1998. The high style classical revival house is the largest dwelling in the brick streets historic district, and reflects late-19th century development in Smith County. Notable features include a steeply pitched hipped roof, ionic columns, a cantilevered balcony, turned wood balusters and first floor window surrounds.