|| CHARLES AND EMMA (LEWIS) TULLIS
Charles (Charlie) and Emma Tullis, native live oak county residents, shared roots preceding the republic of Texas and Live Oak County. Charles’ (b. Oct. 10, 1873) forebears, James and Rhoda Creel Beall Winters and family, walked from Tennessee to Texas in 1834. James, who fought with Sam Houston in the war of 1812, provided three sons and supplies in the Battle of San Jacinto. Winters’ daughter, Lillie Ellen, widowed by Thomas Adams and later William Cude, married Charles O. Edwards. Their grandson, Andrew Mitchell Tullis (Charlie’s father), defended against one of the last Indian raids in south texas in 1872. Emma’s Texan roots began in 1835 with a Mexican land grant procured by her ancestor, John McGloin, killed with Fannin in the Goliad Massacre. A portion of the property passed to Mary McGloin. It later passed to granddaughter, Margaret Ellen Dolan, married to Simeon Wise Lewis, owner of a Gussettville General Store. Their son, W.H. Lewis (Emma’s father), preceded Charlie as sheriff and tax assessor-collector.
Charlie assumed the office in 1909 and, shortly after, his first wife, Jessica Kay, died of cancer. Charlie and Emma married on Jan. 1, 1913. Known to deliver tax notices without a gun, Charlie served during tough times including county seat transition from Oakville to George West. Emma supported him in the tax office during his tenure until 1922. As founding president of First National Bank of George West, Charlie served the bank thirty-eight years. His leadership and integrity in banking, ranching and law enforcement earned him the title of “Mr. Charlie.” He and Emma are buried in St. Joseph’s Cemetery at Gussettville, established by Irish Catholic pioneers.
MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS