Details for 1927 Denton City Hall (Atlas Number 5507018096)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018096

Data

Marker Number 18096
Atlas Number 5507018096
Marker Title 1927 Denton City Hall
Index Entry City Hall, Denton, 1927
Address 221 North Elm Street
City Denton
County Denton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 673923
UTM Northing 3676825
Subject Codes buildings; institutional buildings
Marker Year 2015
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text From 1894 until October 1927, the Denton City Hall was housed in an 1877 red brick building located at the corner of Oak and Bolivar streets. The rapid growth of Denton in the early 20th century called for a newer and more spacious building. In 1927, a new city hall was designed by the prominent Fort Worth architectural firm Van Slyke and Woodruff in the Spanish Renaissance style, a very popular style in the Southwest during the twenties. Reminiscent of South Texas missions, the white brick building with ornamental stone embellishments, arched windows and tiled roof has two stories and a basement. The original plan included a belfry to hold the fire alarm bell because the fire station occupied the rear area of the building. This arrangement lasted through the 1970s until a new fire station was built near the city hall. Governor Dan Moody, Mayor B. W. McKenzie and other local and state dignitaries attended the dedication ceremony on October 8, 1927. In 1969, city offices moved to the O'Neil Ford-designed Municipal Complex which consisted of the civic center, municipal pool, library expansion, and city hall, located in Civic Center Park (now Quakertown Park) on McKinney Street. In 1970, the Denton Community Theatre moved into the old city hall and used the auditorium for performances. This facility was called the "Firehouse Theatre" and occupied the space until 1981 when the city decided to move the police department into the building. Interior renovations began in 1982. The city hall was known for its annual Christmas decorations that started in the late 1920s and continued through the 1960s, attracting thousands of viewers each Christmas season. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2015