Details for Christal House (Atlas Number 5507018102)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018102

Data

Marker Number 18102
Atlas Number 5507018102
Marker Title Christal House
Index Entry Christal House
Address 722 West Oak
City Denton
County Denton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 673327
UTM Northing 3676759
Subject Codes buildings; houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 2015
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text Born to pioneers in 1859, James "Jim" Russell Christal was raised by his mother after age three when his father mysteriously died on a hunting trip. At age 12, Jim started as a horse wrangler and eventually was hired as a cowboy on his cousin Burk Burnett's 6666 Ranch near Wichita Falls. Injuries forced him to return to Denton, where he started the Golden Hoof Farm, a showplace for award-winning sheep and cattle. He served as president of the Alliance Milling Company from 1900 to 1909. He also served as vice president of the Exchange National Bank from 1909 to 1912, and president from 1912 to 1926. Between 1901 and 1911, he was a member of the Board of Regents at North Texas State Normal College, now known as the University of North Texas. A prolific reader, Christal was known to correspond with Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and others. Jim married Margaret McKenzie and had two children. He died in 1936, but left a legacy in Denton as a charitable man. This house was built in 1906 for the Christals by Frank Craft, who had built other houses on West Oak. The house is High Victorian Italian Villa style, with a wide veranda on three sides. The veranda roof is supported by Corinthian columns. The entrance is Palladian, with three leaded beveled glass side windows. The interior is Craftsman style, made with tiger eye oak, birds eye maple floors and long leaf pine in common areas. The house has six fireplaces and two floors. The Christals made some modifications to the original structure, including the addition of a bay window in the front bedroom and enclosing the west rear porch to become part ot the house. A carriage house behind the main house stored the horse and buggy used to return to the Golden Hoof Farm each weekend. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2015