Details for Brown's Prairie School and Building (Atlas Number 5507018124)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018124

Data

Marker Number 18124
Atlas Number 5507018124
Marker Title Brown's Prairie School and Building
Index Entry Brown's Prairie School and Building
Address 20301 FM 1155E
City Washington
County Washington
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Education
Marker Year 2015
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size RTHL Medallion and plaque with post
Marker Text In 1888, a church and school building was erected in a central location at newly-divided Brown's Prairie, with the Reverend David Buchmueller as pastor and teacher. By 1911, a new wooden six-room school building was used each Sunday, with one teacher for six grades. In 1939, the wooden school was replaced using WPA funds, constructed by architect Travis Broesche and stone mason Carl Whitmarsh. In the 1940s, the Brown's Prairie School was referred to as Washington School, and after the 1950-51 school year, all students were transferred to Brenham after its annexation into the district. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2016