Details for Wesley United Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5507018221)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018221

Data

Marker Number 18221
Atlas Number 5507018221
Marker Title Wesley United Methodist Church
Index Entry Wesley United Methodist Church
Address 125 Turner St.
City Waco
County McLennan
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes buildings; ecclesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist denomination
Marker Year 2015
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Northeast corner of Turner St and Elm, directly behind the old Bailsbondsman building on Elm St.
Marker Size RTHL medallion & plaque with post
Marker Text Originally founded in 1902 as the East Side Mission by Reverend B.J. Goff, the Wesley United Methodist Church has served Waco for more than 100 years. In the beginning, the congregation met in a storefront and in the Old County School Building before the establishment in 1911 of Jones Chapel on Paul Quinn Street. In 1961, the congregation moved half a mile south to the present location and built this rectangular plan brick building featuring an open-concept basement and a balcony in the sanctuary.