Details for Lipscomb-Doggett House (Atlas Number 5507018358)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018358

Data

Marker Number 18358
Atlas Number 5507018358
Marker Title Lipscomb-Doggett House
Index Entry Lipscomb-Doggett House
Address 918 West Oak Street
City Denton
County Denton
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2016
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28" without post
Marker Text The Lipscomb-Doggett House was built by Dr. Priestly Lipscomb (1869-1942) and wife, Molly Binyon (1871-1942). The couple contracted the one-story frame house from J.C. Thornton in 1895. Built on bustling West Oak Street, the Victorian Folk cottage was quaint compared to most larger Queen Anne-style neighborhood homes. W.T. Doggett (1883-1957), superintendent of Denton City Schools, purchased the home in 1920 and updated it with modern Craftsman-style exterior features. The footprint and original bois d'arc pier and beam foundation, however, have not been altered since 1926. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 2016