Details for Greenwood Masonic Lodge #779 (Atlas Number 5507018394)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018394

Data

Marker Number 18394
Atlas Number 5507018394
Marker Title Greenwood Masonic Lodge #779
Index Entry Greenwood Masonic Lodge #779
Address 147 County Road 2640
City Decatur
County Wise
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2016
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 147 County Road 2640 {Corner of CR 2640 (old Main Street) and Farm to Market Road 1204} Decatur (Greewood), Texas 76234
Marker Size RTHL medallion and plaque with post
Marker Text In 1895, members of the fraternal organization, the Freemasons, petitioned the most worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas to establish a Masonic Lodge in their community. The lodge was chartered on December 4, 1895, and found its home on the second floor of the wood building at 147 Main Street. A bank initially occupied the first floor as evidenced by the intact vault still on the property. The lodge was accessed by an exterior wooden staircase, which was replaced by a metal one, but the original wooden walls and ceiling remain. The building survived two devastating town fires and a cyclone in 1909. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2016