|| In 1914, combined Protestant Christian services began in George West. Methodist Circuit Riders Alonso Brown and Roswell Gillett were among the ministers. Later in June 1916, Methodists organized as a branch of Oakville Methodist Church, South, led by nine charter members and Reverend Stucky. Two lots were donated by George W. West. A parsonage was purchased in 1921. To complete a church building with Sunday School rooms in 1928, the Pastor’s Aid Society continued its tea room, and the Young Adult Epworth league raised and sold cotton. Pews were furnished by the Episcopal Group.
The church expanded in 1925 as George West-three rivers charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1939, the conference united nationally and dropped “South” and “Episcopal”. By 1947, the church owned six adjoining lots. In spite of devastating droughts, floods, and economic downturns, members remained faithful. A new parsonage designed and contracted by members, Jessie and J.C. Gilstrap, was built in 1954 with donated labor and salvaged brick from the closed Simmons School. By 1963, members renovated the vernacular church with a postmodern design including stained glass windows donated from past memorials. The conference united with the Evangelical United Brethren and the church was renamed George West First United Methodist Church.
Mission efforts reached to Calliham, Mikeska, and Clegg, on to San Antonio, New Orleans, Korea, and Africa. In 2005, the church became a five-star church by giving to all five mission areas of Texas Methodists. Walks to Emmaus, children’s programs, teacher appreciation and senior luncheons are among ongoing ministries.