Details for Simmons-Maxwell House (Atlas Number 5507018509)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018509

Data

Marker Number 18509
Atlas Number 5507018509
Marker Title Simmons-Maxwell House
Index Entry Simmons-Maxwell House
Address 607 Pearl Street
City Denton
County Denton
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2016
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28" with post
Marker Text This Arts and Crafts Mission Style home was built in 1915 by prominent civic leader, James W. Simmons, and his wife, Susan S. Gregg, granddaughter of Darius Gregg, Denton County pioneer and founder of Gregg Ranch. Reminiscent of the Greggs' heritage, the house is designed with an open floor plan, stucco walls, sunroom, pocket doors, a Mission-Style parapet, hemlock front door and leaded glass windows. Col. F.W. and Alice "Louise" Maxwell purchased the home in 1948. Col. Maxwell, wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, was a decorated veteran of WWI and WWII. Louise received the top service award from the American Red Cross for volunteer work from 1918-1958. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 2016