Details for Mounts-Wright House (Atlas Number 5507018511)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018511

Data

Marker Number 18511
Atlas Number 5507018511
Marker Title Mounts-Wright House
Index Entry Mounts-Wright House
Address 403 Mounts Avenue
City Denton
County Denton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 673276
UTM Northing 3676897
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2016
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location northwest corner of Mounts Ave. & Haynes Street
Marker Size 27" x 42" without post
Marker Text The Mounts family first arrived in Denton County in the 1850s from Virginia. W.H. Mounts (1833-1889) and his wife, Martha Elizabeth (Mattie) Mounts (1838-1914), were early residents of the new county seat of Denton, which had been moved from New Alton in 1857. Through their businesses, farming and landowning, the family contributed significantly to the early developments of Denton. W.H. Mounts bought 15 acres of land from his mother, Emily Mounts, on April 6, 1867. The land became known as Mounts Farm. Cotton and fruit were grown behind the house. The original Mounts family home burned down in 1893, four years after the death of W.H. Mounts. In 1898, Mattie Mounts hired J.B. Wilson as the contractor for a new two-story house with eight rooms. The house was built in the Queen Anne style which was consistent with the popularity of the Victorian-era architecture in Denton at this time. The exterior of the house features a veranda wrap-around porch, clapboard siding and fish scale shingles. The interior floors are of heart pine and the front door and stair balusters are examples of Eastlake lathe, gouge and chisel work. The diamond window at the downstairs landing is a focal point for the house's façade. One of the Mounts' eight children, Sena Mounts married William Wesley Wright in 1896 and the couple's five children were raised in the Mounts-Wright House. The house was officially deeded to Sena in 1914 at the time of her mother's death. Sena Wright died in 1952 and her husband lived in the house until his death in 1959. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 2016