Marker Text |
As the Somerville Independent School District (SISD) emerged from the Great Depression, the school board filed a Works Progress Administration project proposal on October 3, 1938, to build a gymnasium. The proposal was accepted and construction on the gymnasium began. Local skilled and unskilled workers quarried native stone from the nearby Yegua Creek. The rustic structure was completed on July 2, 1940, and housed a gymnasium, auditorium stage, locker rooms and lecture rooms. In 1987, the gymnasium became known as the Yegua Center. Repairs were made in 1988 and the building has been in continuous use for SISD school and community activities. |