Details for Mills County Courthouse

Courthouse — Atlas Number 4302002474


Title Mills County Courthouse
County Mills
City Goldthwaite
Current Use gone
Owner na
Service Dates
Constructed 1890
Style Second Empire
Square Feet
SAL Note
NR District
NR Note
HD Eligible No
Description In 1884, F. E. Ruffini recieved a duplicate set of plans for the Tom Green County Courthouse from his brother, Oscar, who had been hired as superintendent of construction for the new courthouse in San Angelo. F. E. was so taken with the design by W. W. Larmour, that he adapted the form to create his plans for the Blanco County Courthouse in Blanco. The design proved so successful, Ruffini quickly presented the plans to two other counties: Callahan and Concho (Dickey, pp. 125-6). After F. E. Ruffini's death in 1885, Oscar submitted the plans to secure courthouse commissions in Sutton and Mills Counties. Of the five courthouses constructed using the design, three survive: Blanco, Concho, and Sutton Counties'. The Second Empire styled courthouse was laid out on the traditional cross axial plan with wide corridors dividing the ground floor into four equal quadrants. Offices and storage spaces located in these quadrants were allocated to the County and District Clerks, Sheriff, County Treasurer, Tax Assessor, Surveyor, County Judge and chambers for the Commissioners' Court. Stairways at either side of the east-west hall rose simply to a graceful curve at the top. The second floor was occupied by an imposingly scaled courtroom and several jury rooms. On the exterior of the two-story stone structure, the walls were constructed with cream-colored ashlar masonry with cut stone quoins and a cut stone stringcourse which separated the two floors and formed a base for the tall narrow window openings. A wide metal cornice was carried on ornamental brackets. Above the cornice rested the mansard roof rising in three sections and featuring framed circular dormers and metal trim which contrasted with the cornice. Mansard pavillions with wrought iron cresting accented the entry bays. At each elevation the entrances were further emphasized by a triangular pediment. The north and south entries were flanked by projecting bays with cornices slightly higher than the adjacent wall surfaces.
Modifications Burned May 5, 1912.
Deed Covenant Expiration
Federal Grant Project
Federal Grant Year
State Grant Project
State Grant Amount
State Grant Year
Historic Structure Report Date
Historic Structure Report Author
Master Plan Date
Master Plan Author
Historic American Buildings Survey
County Population (1995)
Easement Executed
Easement Expiration
Master Plan No
Architect Firm
Bibliography Gone From Texas . "F. E. and Oscar Ruffini, Texas Architects, 1877-1917" dissertation in history by Susan Jean Dickey, Texas Tech University, 1993.
Construction Docs plans (Texas State Library, Archives Division - originals), plans in Gone From Texas pg. 126, 127
Interior Images


Mills County Courthouse 1890
Mills County Courthouse 1890